Start Submission Become a Reviewer

Reading: Knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding patient safety among surgical trainees in Sri L...

Download

A- A+
Alt. Display

Scientific Articles

Knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding patient safety among surgical trainees in Sri Lanka

Authors:

C. Fernando ,

National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, LK
About C.
University Surgical Unit
X close

U. Jayarajah,

University of Colombo, LK
About U.
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine
X close

S. Seneviratne

University of Colombo, LK
About S.
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine
X close

Abstract

Introduction

Surgical trainees play an integral role in the perioperative workup and safety of patients undergoing surgery. This study was aimed to assess surgical trainees’ knowledge, attitudes and practices on perioperative surgical patient safety.


Methods

A descriptive cross-sectional study among 105 surgical trainees (males 96%, mean age 33 years, range 30-40 years) was performed using self-administered validated questionnaires on knowledge, attitudes (Safety Attitude Questionnaire-SAQ) and practices (Questionnaire on evidence-based safety practices and reporting of medical errors). Responses were marked on a 5-point Likert scale and were analysed.


Results

Approximately two thirds (n=72, 69%) were junior registrars and the rest (n=33, 31%) were senior registrars. The median knowledge score was 60 (range 10-90). The Median SAQ score was 74 (151/205, range 57-95). Approximately 65% (n=68) claimed they were aware of the protocols of marking the surgical site. Nearly three quarters (n=78, 74%) have read the WHO safe surgery guidelines. Eighty-seven participants (84%) had not attended a formal risk management course/ teaching activity. Only 53% (n=56) believed that medical errors were handled appropriately and less than a third (31%, n=33) believed that the work environment was favourable to discuss errors. Only 54% (n=57) had received appropriate feedback about their performances.


Conclusion

Overall, the patient safety culture among surgical trainees was found to be suboptimal. Formal teaching sessions, workshops and local guidelines may help improve knowledge and attitudes on patient safety among surgical trainees. Furthermore, working conditions need to be improved to encourage discussion of medical errors and allow frequent feedback.

How to Cite: Fernando C, Jayarajah U, Seneviratne S. Knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding patient safety among surgical trainees in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Journal of Surgery. 2022;40(1):13–8. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/sljs.v40i1.8945
Published on 31 Mar 2022.
Peer Reviewed

Downloads

  • PDF (EN)

    comments powered by Disqus